Fort Collins, Colorado
As a women who has spent the last 25 years in STEM-related fields, I have both the experience and the passion needed to lead an effort to bring awareness of the issues, help design programs for encouraging girls in Northern Colorado to pursue STEM related activities, and bring together like-minded educators and STEM professionals to make it all happen. While larger cities have many STEM projects focused on inspiring young girls to consider STEM, Northern Colorado has very few such programs for young girls between the age of 9-13. I believe we need to create a strategy for our region that combines the needs of elementary school educators with Colorado State University resources and industry partner support.
- Senior Research Scientist at Hewlett-Packard Labs, Fort Collins, Colorado
- Research Scientist at Hewlett-Packard Labs, Haifa, Israel
- Lecturer at Mar Elias University, Abilene, Israel
- Software Engineer at Hewlett-Packard
Non-Compensated Work Experience:
- National Engineers Week:Poudre River Library District, Fort Collins, CO, 2011-Present
- Library Children’s Summer Reading Program:Poudre River Library District, Fort Collins, CO, 2010-Present
- First Lego Robotics Team Coach:(CRES) Coyote Ridge Elementary School, Fort Collins, CO, 2010-Present
- Parent Volunteer, Reading help for Kindergarten, 2nd3rdGraders, CRES,2009-2012.
- August,2010-Present: San Jose State University, MLIS
- December,1996:Colorado State University,Ph.D.,Computer Science
- May,1992:Colorado State University,M.S.,Computer Science
- December,1989:California State University, Sacramento, B.S., Computer Science
- Staelin, C., Bergman, R., Fischer, M., Greig, D., Vans, M., Braverman, G., Harush, S., Shalef, E. “Ink thickness consistency in digital printing presses”, U.S. Patent Number: 7,481,509.
- Maurer, R., Vans, M., Staelin, C., Smith, K. “User selected background noise removal for scanned document images”, U.S. Patent Number: 7,050,650.
- Staelin, C., Bergman, R., Fischer, M., Greig, D., Vans, M., Braverman, G., Harush, S., Shalef, E. “Systems and methods for dot gain determination and dot gain based printing”, U.S. Patent Number: 6,803,933.
- Vans, M., Schein,S., Staelin,., Kisilev,P., Simske,S., Dagan,R., & Harush, S.(2011).“Automatic visual inspection and defect detection on variable data prints.”Journal of Electronic Imaging, Vol.20, No.1.
- Vans, M., Simske,S., Sturgill,M., Aronoff, J.(2010)“Impact of Scrambling on Barcode Entropy.”International Conference on Digital Printing Technologies, Society of Imaging Science and Technology, September 23, 2010. Minneapolis, MN.
- Vans, M., von Mayhauser, A., Somlo, G.(1999)“Program Understanding Behavior During Corrective Maintenance of Large Scale Software.” International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, Academic Press.
- Von Mayrhauser, A., Vans, A.M. (1995).“Program comprehension during software maintenance and evolution.” IEEE Computer Magazine, IEEE Computer Society.
Other places you can find me:
I am on a few other social networks:
You can find me on LinkedIn.
You can also find my collection of books on LibraryThing.